ACA InstructorÂ Certification
Receive certification to be an American Canoe Association (ACA) Instructor at First Coast Outfitters. We can help you determine where you are in your level of kayak knowledge and which class would be a good starting point for you.
What can an ACA Instructor teach?
After receiving qualification in various disciplines at various levels, ACA Instructors can teach paddling skills in approved ACA course outlines. Depending on your level of certification, ACA Instructors can teach both skills and assessment courses up to their achieved expertise level.
ACA Instructors must represent and promote ACA and paddle sports in a positive manner at all times.
ACA Instructor Certification General Requisites:
- Instructors must be age 18 years or older
- Uphold up-to-date ACA Membership and SEIC dues
- Uphold a suitable level of First Aid and CPR trainings
Certification Process for ACA Instructors:
To be certified as an ACA Instructor, a candidate must:
- Partake in an Instructor Development Workshop (IDW) and pass an Instructor Certification Exam (ICE). Candidates may take these courses separately with time between for skills and presentation development and practice or simultaneously as an Instructor Certification Workshop (per the Instructor Trainer).
- Perform consistent, demonstration quality paddling skills
- Exhibit effective teaching skills
- Exhibit paddlesport technical knowledge
- Exhibit suitable rescue and safety ability
- Exhibit effective group|course management and positive social skills
Certification Registration Process and Dues:
Prior to the start of the course, all Instructor Candidates must be a current ACA memberâ€”all memberships are valid except for the sixth-month introductory membership.
If an individual is registering for the first time with the ACA only to participate in an upcoming IDW, ICE or ICW, they can enjoy all of the benefits of a regular ACA membership by registering online as an Instructor Candidate.
New Instructors must pay SEIC dues immediately following successful completion of an ICE or ICW. Dues may be submitted with the course paperwork to the Instructor Trainer or paid online following course completion.
Only after the ACA office has received course paperwork and current dues, will an Instructor Candidateâ€™s membership status be transferred to their Instructor in the ACA database and receive their card and certificate.